Stay Connected

Monday, January 6, 2014

Some folks get their Christmas treats before Christmas . . .



. . . and other folks get them after Christmas! 

Out running errands on Saturday, and while waiting for my daughter to check out the yarn at Michaels, I checked out the Christmas baking/candy-making supplies. Everything 80% off.

I found peppermint candy-flecked, white chocolate chips, for making peppermint bark, for 59 cents a 10-oz bag. Perfect timing, as that evening, we'd planned our tree and house de-decking party. I usually prepare a few Christmas-y foods or drinks for the event. So, this year, I made some peppermint bark, to go with our marked-down eggnog (49 cents/quart).



While at Michaels, I also picked up a couple of Easter basket stuffers, and next Christmas's stocking candy. I buy our holiday candy on clearance, and save until the next year. I double bag the lot, and store in one of the holiday storage trunks, in a cool closet. That's not all. I found some fun baking things, too, like Christmas paper cups/liners (39 cents) for muffins, cakes and cookies, and a snowflake cookie cutter (19 cents).

Looks like we're set for next Christmas!

Anybody else buy next year's holiday treats at after-holiday clearance sales? Have you found a good way to store what you've bought, so you keep it hidden, but don't forget that it's there? Do you ever buy these after holiday treats to have right away?

12 comments:

  1. I usually don't buy Christmas treats after Christmas. I used to, but they were eaten long before the next Christmas. Now, I just try to keep them out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi live and learn,
      I understand. They can be a huge temptation. It's like buying Hallowe'en candy in September. Those early purchases never last until the end of October.

      Delete
  2. Great deals on the candy making supplies and eggnog. Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belinda,
      Thanks! The peppermint bark was soooo yummy!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Fabulous deals! I'm kinda tired of Christmas-ey foods, but the cupcake liners and snowflake cookie cutter sound fun. I found a good deal on a winter hat/mittens for my daughter for Christmas next year when I went shopping on New Year's Day, but no luck for my son. I'll keep my eyes open during the next few weeks, as we should be seeing more winter paraphernalia going on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris,
      Score on the hat and mittens! I usually buy mittens at Dollar Tree. But they rarely have kid sizes there. So finding mittens for your daughter w/ a hat, was a great deal. I'll be checking Penneys for nice mittens, scarves and hats for next Christmas's gifts.

      Delete
  4. Oh, yum! I can never get enough chocolate-peppermint bark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kath,
      We love it too. The platter of bark that I made on Saturday is now reduced to 2 and 1/2 squares!

      Delete
  5. I do this too. My mom used to buy candy canes on sale after Christmas, and on New Years Day, we always had candy cane cocoa. I do this for my little ones now. I don't buy next year's candy, though, as I could never count on it not getting eaten. Good for you, though, to keep the candy for a whole year without snitching some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi small town girl,
      Mmmm, peppermint cocoa -- that's a tradition here, on Christmas Day. I use whatever mini-candy canes that I get for free before the holiday.
      Have you ever tried sucking the juice of an orange through a peppermint stick? My kids used to do this with broken off candy canes.

      Delete
  6. I buy Christmas candy on clearance, to use for Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's day. My favorite is Hershey's kisses, as the red and silver ones look good for Valentine's, and the green are perfect for St. Patrick's. They just make a fun and festive look, in a bowl, on their color themed holidays. Oh, and Christmas m&ms are great for decorating cookies for those holidays.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn,
      Great ideas! And you don't have to hide the candy for very long, if you're planning on using it for Valentine's or St. Patrick's Day.

      Delete

Thank you for joining the discussion today. Here at creative savv, we strive to maintain a respectful community centered around frugal living. Creative savv would like to continue to be a welcoming and safe place for discussion, and as such reserves the right to remove comments that are inappropriate for the conversation.

FOLLOW CREATIVE SAVV ON BLOGLOVIN'

Follow
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be a voice that helps someone else on their frugal living journey

Are you interested in writing for creative savv?
What's your frugal story?

Do you have a favorite frugal recipe, special insight, DIY project, or tips that could make frugal living more do-able for someone else?

Creative savv is seeking new voices.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

share this post