Stay Connected

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Blueberry-Rhubarb Crumble

by Lili Mounce


We had our church potluck/picnic to attend on Saturday. I'd completely forgotten about it until Friday afternoon. Sometimes, that's just how it goes, right? We brainstormed Friday evening on what I could bring, that wouldn't entail a trip to the store. At that time, I was out of eggs, so baking seemed like a no-go. Then we talked about rhubarb crisp. But that just sounded too ordinary, but I was still keeping it on the back burner, just in case.

Saturday morning, when out in the garden for a bit, I noticed that we had a lot of ripe blueberries. My daughters picked about 2 cups. I added about 2 cups of chopped rhubarb to the blueberries and made a rhubarb-blueberry crumble.

It was evidently a hit, as when I had a shot at the dessert table, the baking dish was scraped clean. So, I thought you may also be interested in this recipe, as it was a good way to stretch the blueberry flavor, and the orange zest was a nice addition to the blueberry and rhubarb flavors.


2 cups (340 g) blueberries
2 cups (300 g) chopped rhubarb
1  1/2  tablespoons (22 mL) orange zest (lemon zest would also be great with the blueberries)
1/2 cup (90 g) light brown sugar
1/2 cup (100 g) white sugar
1/4 cup (30 g) all-purpose flour
pinch salt
2 tablespoons (30 mL) water


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C). Butter an 8 X 8 inch baking dish.  In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugars, salt and orange zest. Toss with berries and rhubarb. Drizzle the water over all.  Scoop into the prepared baking dish.


Top with topping:

1 cup (120 g) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (45 g) rolled oats
1 cup (180 g) light brown sugar
1/2 cup (120 g) butter, melted

Combine all ingredients until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling. Bake for 35 minutes, or until topping is golden.

8 comments:

  1. Mixed fruit crisps and cobblers are the best! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol,
      Totally agree! And this time of summer I like camouflaging the rhubarb a bit, as we've been eating it for months.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness this looks so delicious! I agree I really love mixed fruit cobblers and crisps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alicia,
      I've promised my disappointed family members that I'd bake another one this weekend.
      Another combo I love is peach and blueberry.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
    2. That's what I was going to say. Blueberry and Peach. When blueberries were ripe here, I made a peach and blueberry crisp that was especially good.

      Delete
    3. I keep hoping to find peaches on a good sale, so I can do a peach and blueberry deep dish pie. Three of my favorite food groups -- pie crust, peaches and blueberries (the fourth food group is chocolate, but that wouldn't do for a pie!)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm wishing I could have some for breakfast right now! Do you ever have pie for breakfast? When I was younger I read Farmer Boy (Little House series), and Almanzo got to have pie for breakfast. I could not convince my mom that pie would be an appropriate breakfast food. But I also think crumbles and cobblers would make great breakfast food.

      Delete

Thank you for joining the discussion today. Here at creative savv, we strive to maintain a respectful community centered around frugal living. Creative savv would like to continue to be a welcoming and safe place for discussion, and as such reserves the right to remove comments that are inappropriate for the conversation.

FOLLOW CREATIVE SAVV ON BLOGLOVIN'

Follow
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be a voice that helps someone else on their frugal living journey

Are you interested in writing for creative savv?
What's your frugal story?

Do you have a favorite frugal recipe, special insight, DIY project, or tips that could make frugal living more do-able for someone else?

Creative savv is seeking new voices.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

share this post